“Process Balancing” is a process whereby a set of course of steps are “equalized” when it comes to time required to perform them (notice “effort” is probably not the identical!).
Process balancing instruments are used the place the method is contained in an outlined space. Examples embrace:
– Order Entry Department
– Mortgage Application Process
Key instruments utilized in course of balancing are the time examine and takt time chart, however different instruments comparable to ability matrix, and many others., might play a major function within the evaluation.
The Process Balancing methods should not unique to “one-piece flow” – small batches could also be mandatory between sure steps – however use of the method balancing instruments is supposed to drive the method to one-piece circulation.
Primary Issues in Typical Transactional Environments
– Excess “stuff in process”
– Poor house utilization
– Low worker effectivity
– Long/erratic cycle occasions
– Poor steadiness of labor content material throughout course of steps
– Conveyance, standby and movement waste
– Disorganized workspace and element/provide storage
– High variability of demand on a number of processing facilities
e.g., name facilities/buyer arrivals
– High variability of job content material (non-standard work/procedures)
Where Process Balancing actions happen alongside the Lean Six Sigma Roadmap: Define Phase:
– What is the Goal of balancing the method?
– Capacity enchancment with out including assets
– Productivity enchancment with out sacrificing high quality
– Space discount
– Day-to-Day scheduling
– Long-term useful resource planning
– What instruments might be used to collect, current, and analyze information?
– Time Study and Task Times
– Historical information: Process exits, Productivity, Customer Demand, Staffing, and many others.
– Layout and spaghetti circulation
– Task Time Chart with breakdown of buyer value-add vs. non-value-add actions
– Time Traps and Constraints (if any)
– Variability of Demand
– What steps might be taken and in what order?
1. Reduce non-value-add time of Constraints and Time Traps to fulfill Customer Demand
General Rule is that Max Task Time of Time Trap ought to be not more than 90% of Takt Time for low variability
2. Reduce NVA of non-Time Traps
General Rule is that Max Task Time of all different non-Time Traps ought to not more than 90% of Takt Time (buyer demand) for extremely predictable environments or 80% of Takt Time for processes with variability
three. Reorder/Re-sort duties to steadiness work content material, alter staffing
four. Modify Layout to accommodate new staffing; Implement work controls
5. Iterate on lowering non-value-add time, then buyer value-add time and rebalancing/re-staffing till objectives are achieved.
– Implement visible management instruments to maintain the enhancements
– Takt Boards for the Time Trap and total course of
– 5S & Issue Boards for drawback decision and course of management
Customer Value Add: A job or exercise for which the client can be prepared to pay, achieved proper the primary time and the unit transferring via the method bodily modifications in match, kind, or operate in the direction of completion.
Example: Electronic funds switch by way of bank card
Required Business Waste: A job that’s required to assist the enterprise however for which the client just isn’t prepared to pay
Example: Financial Services worker writing buyer credit score historical past on a credit score utility
Non-Value Add: A job that’s not required and ought to be eradicated as a result of it’s wasteful Example: Financial Services worker having to search for lacking info wanted to finish credit score historical past
Review Sources of Waste: TIMWOOD
Transportation (transferring gadgets from one place to a different)
Inventory (gadgets/paperwork/info ready to be processed)
Motion (extra motion and/or poor ergonomics)
Waiting (delays attributable to shortages, approvals, downtime)
Overprocessing (including extra worth than the client is paying for)
Overproduction (The grandfather of all different types of waste)
Defects (rework & scrap – doing the identical job greater than as soon as)
Note: Another waste is: People (untapped and/or misused assets)