Anyone new to course of work can simply turn into confused by so many alternative phrases that appear to imply the identical factor. I ponder typically why we hold including new phrases to what principally comes right down to “quality.” All these strategies have the identical purpose — to realize enhancements in delivering a services or products to the client. “Improvement” could comply with the type of extra effectivity for the enterprise or extra effectiveness for the client. All strategies have a connection to the Total Quality Management (TQM) motion promoted by gurus comparable to W. Edwards Deming and Joseph M. Juran, amongst others. Some provide a extra philosophical strategy than a particular set of instruments.
With so many strategies to select from, do you choose the most recent, the trendiest, or maybe the tried and true methodology? Do you must select one method? Why not take one of the best from all and name it one thing else that works in your tradition. You can merely name your method Business Process Improvement, Continuous Improvement, or one thing comparable that works in your group. The identify you determine to make use of makes a distinction within the acceptance fee at your organization as a result of as everyone knows “culture trumps process all the time.”
You could discover my simplified clarification of the varied phrases (in alphabetical order) useful:
- Business Process Management (BPM): A current time period that denotes course of administration software program. It comes from the IT world and firms which have software program to promote, promote this system. It makes an attempt to constantly enhance processes by selling enterprise effectivity, effectiveness, flexibility, and integration with know-how. I view it merely as a new spin on utilizing know-how for course of enchancment…not a dangerous factor, however did we’d like one other time period?
- Continuous Improvement: A extra philosophical idea than a method, CI strives to consistently enhance processes. It promotes a tradition of innovation and fixed enchancment.
- Hoshin Kanri: A strategic planning methodology that makes use of the collective considering energy of all workers to assist a firm rise to the highest of their discipline. The idea of together with “all” is vital to Hoshin Kanri, in order that the corporate focuses on a shared purpose. “Hoshin” means compass and “Kanri” means administration (or management).
- Kaizen: The Japanese phrase for steady enchancment. “Kai” means steady and “zen” means enchancment. It shouldn’t be one other method, however a philosophy that denotes incremental, fixed, repeatable enchancment.
- Lean: Focuses on the circulation of worth to the client – anything is taken into account wasteful. Companies who comply with Lean have the purpose of lowering the time between a buyer order and cargo by eliminating waste. When you consider Toyota, you consider Lean.
- Lean Six Sigma: Sometimes seen as one of the best strategy, because it combines Lean and Six Sigma, this system merges the “course of variation” side of Six Sigma with the “course of circulation” side of Lean, each vital ideas. However, the time period appears extra like a gross sales time period to me.
- Re-engineering: Focuses on the radial redesign of end-to-end processes. It ignores the present enterprise course of and begins by designing a new course of from scratch primarily based on buyer wants. While fashionable within the mid-1990s, it didn’t see a lot long-term success due to the dearth of give attention to the change administration or governance course of.
- Six Sigma: A statistical methodology (coined by Motorola) that appears to scale back variation in course of efficiency and strives for close to perfection. The “six” refers to 6 normal deviations. Walter Shewhart’s work within the 1920s confirmed that processes required correction after they reached three sigma from the imply. With the introduction of “belts” (credited to GE), it typically looks like Six Sigma is one of the best methodology, and whereas it does give attention to stopping defects and serving to you to grasp course of complexity, I don’t consider that it alone is sufficient. If you employ this system, bear in mind the cultural impact of any course of modifications.
In abstract, all strategies give attention to enchancment; all have the client on the core; and all wish to enhance the effectivity, effectiveness, and adaptability of the enterprise. As you learn extra about these strategies, you could discover what looks like territorial wars between a number of the strategies – e.g., lean vs. six sigma, or steady enchancment vs. reengineering. While one can find some variations (evolutionary or revolutionary, ongoing or one time, particular instruments), you will notice extra similarity than variations.
In the top, merely assume course of enchancment and spend time defining what “quality” means to your group.
Copyright 2011 Susan Page